#1 · (Edited)
Hi All, here is my humble entry.

$ 1.30 -1" hinge (2/2.59)
3.19 - electric socket
1.69 - extension cord
1.50 - flicker light bulb (10/14.99)
2.48 - 1 Monkey earring (set for 4.95)
.56 - paint (1/4 of 2.25)
1.50 - Elmer's Glue All (3 oz. of 16 oz./7.99)
.10 - Super Glue (few drops of 2/1.00)
.50 - Wood (7" of 1" x 6" x 3' @ 2.57)
.04 - Wood (3" of 1" x 2" x 8' @ 1.35)
.00 - paper bag
.00 - coat hanger
6.03 - Skull, hollow, hard foam or plastic (this skull is hard foam, I bought it a few years ago for $3.99 but a similar one can be bought for 4.99 - 6.03)
$18.89 TOTAL

Since Photobucket blocked my pics,e is a You Tube:

Main pieces:

First cut the eyes and nose out of the skull.
Use a compass to make a circle on the top where you want to cut the top off.
Make your first cut at the back of the skull top where you want to put your hinge, make the cut a bit longer than the hinge. Tack the hinge on with super glue then screw the hinge in.

If the skull is foam, paint the cut white areas brown.

Decide where the skull will sit on the 7" piece of wood and drill a hole for the socket.
Cut your 3" piece of wood into 4 - 3/4" pieces and Elmer's glue one piece on the bottom of each corner of the 7" piece of wood.
Save

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hairazor's 2016 Entry 2nd half

Use 3 oz. of Elmer's glue (minus the bit you used above) and mix with water for a home made mod podge and then decoupage torn strips of paper bag on the wooden piece.
When this is dry, plug the socket into the light cord and put into the hole. Add the flicker light.

Position your monkey earring where you want it and cut a hole around where it will dangle. Paint the white foam brown.

Now put your skull on the wood block and plug it in.

Since Photobucket blocked video, here is a Flickr:

100_2356 by Janice Wilson, on Flickr
Save

#4 ·
Thanks Roxy, I've been wanting to do one for a while and this contest nudged me on.

I see I forgot to mention the coat hanger. You cut a piece about 1" or so to prop the top open. I also want to mention the light bulb should be one that doesn't get hot to the touch so the skull won't melt or give off fumes

#11 ·
I love your skeleton lamp. I was like Roxy thinking it would make a good lamp in your house. How about in your guest room? That way you won't have to worry about guest overstaying their welcome. One or two nights having him stare at you while you're sleeping and they should be ready to leave.

#13 ·
Spooky1, DAngel and Bobzilla, thanks for looking and positive comments

"One or two nights having him stare at you while you're sleeping and they should be ready to leave." Scareme, leave it to you to think of a great use!!

#19 ·
Headless and P5, thanks for the nice comments.. Part of the fun was formulating the idea in my head and figuring how to pull it together. Hope the next contest sees lots and lots of entries. And a big thanks to those who voted for me and to all who took time to vote

#21 ·
Thanks for the compliment LizzieB. I had to look up where I got the bulbs. Got them from Amazon.com, believe they also have them on eBay but got a better deal on Amazon at that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.