Haunt Forum banner

Home Depot window FX projector

21K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  spiney99 
#1 ·
Just got done checking out my new Projector from Window FX. I picked up mine from Home Depot. Finally everyone can get into Halloween Projection effects for a great price. This thing was only $70 AND HAS A LOT OF FEATURES. It is very easy to set up, has an SD card slot, a USB port, and audio port and has tripod mount holes for Horizontal and Vertical set up. it comes with a nice selection of Halloween effects and also Christmas and New years. If you ever though about trying out projection effects, now is the time. Oh, it also comes with a projection sheet to project onto. There are also 3 other USB drives sold seperately to add to your content.

#38 ·
AtmosfearFX

Spooky1, I pre-ordered the Holiday Kit from AtmosfearFX well before I saw it in Home Depot and wanted to cry. It cost just over $200 even though it has Halloween, Christmas & holograms. The tripod stinks but the projector is good. I have it about 15' from my 6 front windows where I hung sheers. It fully projects horizontally on 4 windows with a clear view from the street so I'm happy. Too bad I was so impulsive and pre-ordered. That really cut into my Halloween budget. Live and learn :(

#6 ·
If you get a chance to try it out soon, could you post your review?

#7 ·
No HDMI port. Cannot find anything in specs for actual LUMENS. I tried it out in the house just projecting on the wall, and it seems to work pretty darn good. It is not my Fright props programmable projector, but for $70 you can have fun and get a pretty cool effect.

#9 ·
That would be great. I have yet to see anyone post pictures or video with their review.

#10 ·
I picked one up the other day at Home Depot on a whim since I've been on the fence with this whole projection thing (still kinda feels like cheating). But for $70 bucks it's definitely a great entry level projector setup for haunters.

Not sure the actual lumens but I was able to see it projected on a wall at 4' during the day in the house. With all the lights off looked pretty decent as well. It does allow you to reverse the video for rear projection. You'll actually have to switch it to normal project as reverse seems to be the default setting. And it comes with a decent sized piece of fabric to do just such.

No inputs thought. It's its own beast. You can hook up any USB stick or drive to playback MP4s and a few other formats as well as use it as a slideshow viewer. It also supports an SD card slot as well (it comes with an SD card with a good selection of AtmosFX videos preloaded, 12 total). But no other inputs. So no way to hook any other video source to it such as a computer, camera, blu-ray, etc.

The sound isn't too shabby from the onboard speakers. And it has a standard 1/8" audio jack if you want to hook it to a real sound system or external speakers.

For those who want to experiment and get their feet wet in projected effects, this is definitely worth the price. One can always branch out later.

-TM

#11 ·
I got the projector today, and immediately got down to playing!

Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as intuitive to use as I would have thought, thought pretty simple to figure out (especially after reading the directions). Anyway, it's decently bright, and will be just fine for the night time.

It was day when I started playing, but we went into the basement and shut the blinds, so it was fairly dark. This is with the lights off, projected from about 8 feet away, resulting in an image that was about 5 feet across. At that range, you start to get a bit of the screen door effect (where, if you look closely, it almost looks like you're looking through a screen door, because you can see the pixel grid, or whatever), but it's not bad at all, and, through a screen and window, with all the other stuff going on around, it will be just fine.

This is with the lights on, which included a regular recessed light nearly directly above it.

Anyway, it's super simple to use once you poke around for few minutes. For example, after inserting the SD card with the videos, they appeared to be empty. It just took a minute or so to actually load them up, but once they were there, they were fine. Then, I clicked one to watch it, but it just popped up in an odd little window that still had the blue background behind it.

Turns out (as the instructions plainly state), you just put a checkmark by the ones you want to play, then hit the actual play button. Who knew?!

The construction seems pretty decent, although the fan was a tad loud at times. The keystoning worked like a dream, and focus was a breeze too. It also has an attached rubber lens cap, and a three or so foot long power cord with a two-pronged adapter. I ran it plugged upside down while first trying it, but the adapter got really warm. The internal speaker is decent enough for light sound, but only if you're near the projector itself. I doubt I'll need the sound much (except, perhaps, for the Christmas ones), but there is a regular earphone jack. It also flips the picture at the push of a button, between front and rear projection, both regular and upside down. The SD card also comes with both horizontal and vertical videos, and it apparently plays several different formats.

Anyway, since it's getting dark now, I'm going to play some more. But, for anyone interested, the instructions, including some specs are below.

Cheers!

#13 ·
We played with the projector last night, and I couldn't be more impressed! It's prefect for our set-up, with a ledge about the perfect height and distance to the front door/side windows for the image to fill the windows! We put up the screen and stood out front watching all the videos for like 20 minutes, then just left the ghost woman and zombie hoard run on a loop for the hour or so (my excuse was to see how hot it got, which was really minimal -- much less than our other projector). This isn't the best video, and it's pretty amateurish compared to some I've seen around (here, especially), but I'm suuuuper impressed and so excited to break out the rest of the goods that I can barely contain myself!

By the way, the graveyard is going up over the weekend!!!

Cheers!

#16 ·
Thanks for talking the time to provide so many details about the projector, Longmont! That will help a lot of folks who are looking to add projections to their haunts.

#19 ·
^We have a couple of Spectral Illusions videos that were purchased as a download, and we've run those from a laptop through our current projector as part of our pre-Halloween projections.

#24 ·
^Probably wasn't done that way because they were already on the laptop and we had the right cord available, plus we had other things we were trying to get done as part of the last minute Halloween set up, as usual:jol:

#26 ·
Projector Pumpkins

So yesterday I purchased this little thing at Home Depot for $69 and change.
So I rush home and like a kid on Christmas i open the box, plugged it in and then it hit! Sadness and despair... I wanted this because i wanted the singing pumpkins dangit!! and i didn't get them. The box shows the Jack O' Lantern Jamboree as included but what i got was three dumb ass pumpkins making stupid faces and noises LOL.

Regardless of all that i actually love this little unit. It comes with a rear projection screen to use in front of your window. It is an LED projector and seems to be about as bright as you would expect it to be. It states its resolution is 720 but Im not a 100% sure of that.

Anyway, if you want other animations from atmosfearFX then its $10 bucks for 2 scenes or $50 for the whole digital download. So looks like I'm going to have to spend another 10 bucks, I want my singing pumpkins!!

#28 ·
Oops, had posted my thoughts in the what have you purchased thread. Didn't see this one until now so I'm going to double dip I guess. See below....

Picked up the 'Seasonal Window FX Projector' from HD this week. If I had no previous experience with projector setups (already use 3 in my home display) I would probably give it 4 out of 5 stars. I'm use to projectors with better lumens (light output) and so it's hard to get past that on this projector. For simple window application it's adequate. If you try to expand further (say garage door) I just don't see it being bright enough.

#35 · (Edited)
Great request and question. I would also like to know this. I have projector that I use in my haunt and it's as far as I can get it across the room (11') and she's still a little larger than life size. It would be nice if they included a size adjustment feature that would not effect the focus. What is the Trow Ratio on this thing?

Longmont Haunt's videos look great, but the zombie scenes looked like they were a little large. How far did he have it from the window?

#30 ·
I'm glad to have seen this thread. I am not into the projection thing (yet), I guess it intimidated me. Thanks to all who posted the details and the how to's with this projector. I just may get my feet wet! I didn't realize the scenes were on SD cards.

#32 ·
Tina, stop by if you're interested in projections. I'd be glad to give you a hand. I've been using them for years. I did just buy the home depot unit and it definitely works good enough. I do have some considerably more expensive units that I use, but I'm going to use the home depot one as well. At $70 and the extras you get it's well worth it.

Ken

#31 ·
I've been tempted to get it since I would love to do the window projections but unfortunately only got 2 front facing windows- the living room and our bedroom. The bedroom has a coating so wouldn't be able to see it well. And have a streetlight just across from us which causes troubles with some of the smaller projections I have tried so far. Trying to resist getting it anyway in case I find a way to make it work.
It might be a loosing fight along with resisting the gargoyles. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-36-in-Large-Gargoyle-Statue-with-LED-Lights-LH1015/205823461

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.